Dago Children's Center
About the Center
Dago children center is home to 36 girls from Dago and the sounding villages. Dago provide a home away from home for the children who have lost their parents to HIV/Aids and other reasons that do not make home suitable and conducive place for them. These girls are vulnerable and they are selected by the community members to benefit and be supported by the program. For more information check our website. www.Dagochildren.org
Friends of Dago, bridges the gap between the community and all supporters, friends, donors, partners that are not in Kenya. We try to bring and rally together all friends to help organize events, volunteer, support and partner with our community.
All the proceeds are channeled to support the needs of the girls and all the activities undertaken at the children’s center.
Friends of Dago is working to help Dago Children center be self-sustainable by advocating for all the projects they are trying to undertake to achieve this goal.
Continuing Support Needs
- We have managed to house now 20 girls at the center. Most of them got sponsorship to private boarding school. Thanks to our partners who have not only sent the young girls, but have sent 27 students along with the girls.
- We have constantly provided adequate security for the center. We have one security guard always ensuring everything is safe.
- We have 4 dairy cows at the center that provide milk for the center. Some used at the center and the extra is sold to support other needs at the center. We have provided a caretaker that makes all this happen.
- We have the greenhouse now under the care of the center. We are still exploring the best way to use it. Thanks to our partners.
- We have solved the water problems at the center. Through gracious friends, we installed a water pump that is able to provide enough for the center.
- We have acquired 3.4 acres of land, that we are using now to produce corn and beans, but we are exploring the best way to utilize the new farming technology to make it our main source of sustainability for the center.
- With the 3.4 acres in our bucket, we can build a successful farming system that will not only support the program, but also create surplus that will in turn support other initiatives for the center.
- With many volunteers and supporters interested in different projects, we are branching more to work with the community, especially empowering the women, youths and men.
- With the children center, being located in the public school compound, we have great partnership with the school and the community. Working to improve the education performance of the local school.
- Working as a liaison office for USAID, we are reaching far more with the health program supporting over 5000 children and serving more than 500 homes.
- There is always opportunities to partner with other organizations, universities, volunteers and well-wishers to help us reach more community needs.
- We have lots of volunteer opportunities at Dago Children Center year round. Groups, family and individuals are welcomed